Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Synthesis Paragraph of Oedipus




1. How has your view of Oedipus developed over the course of the play?
          
            Throughout the course of the play my view of Oedipus remained mostly of empathy, however it did change slightly from a man of respect to one of pity. In the beginning of the play I see Oedipus as a strong leader as King for the city of Thebes, he is respectful because he respects his people. He makes a strong statement that gives the impression that he is dedicated to helping his people, he states, “But my spirit grieves for the city, for myself and all of you. I wasn’t asleep, dreaming. You haven’t wakened me-I have wept through the nights, you must know that…laboring over many paths of thought” (74-78). This shows how Oedipus provides a sense of comfort for his people; that he feels the sorrow they feel. As the play progresses, and Oedipus realizes a piece of knowledge is preventing him from moving on and helping his city, he becomes angry and miserable, he say's, “Blind, lost in the night, endless night that nursed you! You can’t hurt me or anyone else who sees the light- you can never touch me” (425-428). It’s clear that the truth got to Oedipus and created a pitiful being. Although many view Oedipus as an angry, disrespectful man, which may be true, this only happened because he was prevented and taunted from not knowing the truth about his life. I can sympathize with Oedipus because it is frustrating not knowing or understanding something hidden. Everyone should have the right to know his or her origins, whether it has to do with a ‘prophecy’ or simply curiosity!


2. Ultimately, what important understandings have you gained about family, society, leadership, etc., through Oedipus and his tragedy?
          
            After reading this play, I have realized many ideas about how the truth is a powerful piece of knowledge that can either destroy you or enchant you, but either way it will always change you and how you perceive yourself. The truth behind Oedipus’ origins in this case were severe, as Oedipus did not only uncover that he killed his father, the King of Thebes, and learn that his wife was his mother, but also unknowingly caused the downfall of his reputation, title and respect from others. I believe that social norms have affected the way we perceive people’s actions and that no matter the circumstances of such actions; people will always have this mentality to judge one.












1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you for the second question! We had the same idea for the first question so I definitely understand what you're saying!

    ReplyDelete